Saturday, November 22, 2008

CONCEPTION OF SUCCESS

Wow. And here i am, already writing my 4th post...

Now, what exactly is success? Has it always got to do with one's career? No. Or even one's wealth? Absolutely not. It is not necessary for the result to always be rewarding. But then again, who would make big sacrifices to achieve something that is not worthwhile? Anyway, I believe that if one were to put his/her heart and soul into doing something, the result would be, of course, success. Success means for one to attempt and then finally, to be able to achieve what he wants. That is my definition of success. Does yours differ? :)

Alright, you might not know the person that I am about to introduce to you. Her name is Jane Goodall. Ever heard of her?

Jane Goodall is born on the 3rd of April, in London. She was a primatologist. (a person who studies primates) Her way of studying animals, which involves living together with them in their natural habitats, changed not only how chimpanzees are understood, but also how studies of other animals are carried out. After studying the chimpanzees for two decades, she gained their full trust and could even sit among them. Through her hard work and determination, she won awards and international recognitions, including a "Conservation Prize" for helping millions of people understand the importance of wild life conservation on this planet. After devoting nearly 30 years to her mission, she alone, had already made significant progress in the research and of course, the protection of animals.

I really admire her determination. Imagine, living for 20 years in a forest along with a few groups of chimpanzees. Now, that is tough! She has shown me that with enough patience, confidence and hard work, one is always capable of achieving one's dreams, regardless of the countless periods of hard times one has to go through.

The next person I am going to talk about is most lightly a stranger to you. He is my father. My father was born in the year 1959, in Malaysia. He lived there along with his seven siblings and parents until the time when he went overseas to further his studies. I guess he met my mother there and well, things began to unfold. (unconfirmed)

Today, he lives together with us (my mother, 2 other siblings and myself) in Singapore. I admire him because i feel that he has not only fulfilled his responsibility of a father, but a father who also devotes his free time (weekends) towards keeping the house a better place to live in. He is successful in a way that he is able to allow our family to lead an extremely comfortable life without much worries. Like others, my siblings and I would of course be worried about our studies. But still, it would definitely be much less stressful if that is the only problem you have to deal with. My father has shown me that a person should not only do things that are just adequate, but to be someone who puts in more effort into the things you want to achieve. This way, what can you not achieve?

I believe that this programme (currently) has taught me to look at the good qualities of a person and to be able to learn something important from them. With all the knowledge, I think that it would be easier to achieve our goals.

1 comment:

Marcus Quek said...

Ohhh. I admire Jane Goodall too. That must be a really long and tiring time, to live with Chimpanzees.